It was a lot of build up…

It was more for me than anyone else, as it should be.  The build up.  The year and a half of anxiety.  The multiple paths towards treatment.  All to get me on a plane. 

And I did it.  I had four flights in 4 days and I made it through without too much drama. 

Flight 1:

W & I departed for the airport at 4 AM.  We stayed at my parents’ house the night before, so my dad drove us to the airport.  Before I left the kitchen I needed an Xanax and thank heavens I had them!  When we arrived at the airport, a mere 15 minutes later, I was calm(ish).  We checked in, went through security, and we were seated in front of our terminal.  W kindly asked if I wanted coffee or breakfast and I politely declined, but accepted the water. 

As our boarding time approached, I popped another Xanax and a Bonine to top it off.  Just in case.  We got on the plan with minimal crying and before I knew it we were taxiing and then in the air.  I promptly fell asleep (you would too with 2 hours sleep, a Bonine & 2 Xanax).

We landed in DC with about 45 minutes until we would board again.

Flight 2:

Smooth sailing.  I don’t recall now if I took another Xanax, but I’m leaning towards no.  Again I slept and when I opened my eyes, I was looking at turquoise water and I knew I was going to be on land for 3 and 1/2 days.  Phew.

Flight 3:

I’m an old pro now.  One Bonine.  One Xanax. AND I ate breakfast.  Go me! 

We boarded our plan and I was seating in the very front row.  How nice.  I prefer not knowing what’s going on around me anyway.  But what is sticking out of the pocket in front of me?  An airsick bag.  I immediately take this as a bad omen, but try to push this stupid & irrational thought out of my head.

Instead, I look out the window.  I see our luggage.  NEXT to the the plane.  Hmm…odd.  I see a nice looking Bahamian gentleman standing next to this giant metal box thing on wheels.  Coming from the box thing is a very long yellow tube…kind of like a dryer hose, but bigger.  And connected to the plan.  The man has on a headset and is communicating with whom I later learn is our pilot.  He’s looking up at the cockpit holding up 2 fingers on one hand (peace symbol style) and with his other hand he is using his index finger to make the “you so crazy” gesture, except not pointing his finger at his head.  Know what I mean?

Well what this meant was “Engine # 2 is NOT working.”


After sitting for an hour in a plane – which is not turned on – which means no air conditioning – at high noon in the Bahamas – they decided that perhaps we should move inside before we pass out. 

As we de-board and are asked to sit in a hallway and share 1 fan, I see that the gentleman a few rows behind us has take a stash of airsick bags.  And he’s greenish.  Great. 

One hour later and a new plane later, we are set for Orlando.  This is also 1 hour after our connection in Orlando has departed. The ride is turbulent, but again I manage to fall asleep.  To the best of my knowledge there were no “incidents” requiring use of the previously collected bags.

Flight 4:

Because we missed our connection, we now need a new one.  Ah, but due to the lack of customer service on our departure side, we have missed our opportunity to get on the following connection.  We are booked on one that is leaving 3 hours later.  Fine.  Whatever.  Perhaps we can find some french fries to purchase with our $10 “sorry for the inconvenience” voucher that the provided. 

We found french fries.  The voucher was not applicable. 

at 6:10 PM we were taxiing for our departure to DC.  I wasn’t thrilled about the seating arrangements. We were in row 24 out of 25 and I was on the aisle.  Poor W was crammed between me and a very, very large woman.  She kindly lifted up some folds so W could slip under.  Just as we’re to depart the pilot hops on the speaker system and announces that there is “weather” south of DC so we have to wait until the top of the hour (do the math….45 minutes!) to determine when we can leave. 

Remember when you sit in a car that’s on, but you’re idling and not driving?  Remember how your air conditioning turns to heat?  Yeah.  That’s what happens except we were crammed in a Tylenol-sized space for 150 other people. 

At 6:59 a gentleman towards the front of the plan told the flight attendant that he is sick. 

I panicked.

W said “don’t panic…he’s just sick of being on this plane.”  That made me feel better.

They took us back to the airport and we once again got off the plane.  We stayed there for another hour before they said the weather wouldn’t impact us anymore.

But you know what made it all worth it?

Flying into Washington, DC at night.  There is nothing like.  It’s one of the most breathtaking views. 


 Courtesy of National Geographic…I could never capture a shot like that!


~ by zuzu on July 21, 2008.

3 Responses to “It was a lot of build up…”

  1. you rocked it! proud of you.

  2. Well done! That was even worse than our 14-hour marathon San Diego to New York flight from last year and you made it with aplomb!

    Air travel: It’s not just a journey, it’s a baffling ordeal.

  3. […] was the most fabulous – he found our bags on this trip and they made it to DC before we […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: